Sunday, July 1, 2012

Should I do it?

It's Canada Day!  I'm proud to be Canadian.  I did live in Virginia for awhile with my family, but I am Canadian.  Born on this soil.  Today, many of my friends are out at their cottages, at parades or planning a bbq. I really should have thought ahead and planned something.  I sometimes find long weekends .... I don't know .... sad?  It feels like a reminder that I can't do what other people can do and take for granted.  Part of the reason is our little "Tee".  She is almost 4 and severely autistic.  She's been having a hard time when things aren't "normal" or part of her routine.   I could only imagine going to a parade.  Tee trying to run away or getting upset when she can't join one of the floats!  That leaves me and JJ to fend for ourselves as Matthew tries to keep Tee safe  ... not an easy task in a crowd.  What if I fall?  What if someone bumps me?  What if there is no washroom I can use?  What if there is a little step I can't get up?


Does anyone else out there worry about those things?  As Tee grows up and learns to handle things better, I will have more opportunity to experience these kinds of things.  Question is, how do I learn to enjoy them?  How do I experience day trips, carnivals and concerts without thinking about all the details?  Perhaps this is just part of the process of learning how to live as someone with a disability.  Learning how to ask for help and finding all the resources out there.  What do you do?



No comments:

Post a Comment